Thursday, August 16, 2012

Maps

Do you know what I did this afternoon at work?

I looked up directions from Finland to Prince Patrick Island. Apparently Google doesn't know how to get there.

I am trying to wrap my mind around this whole "Globe" thing.

When I was a child, I thought America and "the world" were synonymous, as any good little patriot would.

And as a 34 year old woman, I somehow imagined that if you went north from Finland, you'd eventually end up in Argentina.

Not really sure how I came up with that.

I finally decided to look at a ball and try to figure it out and realized that Canada was on the other side of Finland! So now I imagine cruise ships taking off from Helsinki and ending up in Canada. Somewhere.
Of course there's the giant polar ice caps--but they're melting, right?

I have spent entirely too much time imagining Viking adventures and taking note of how much further north Sweden is from Utah.

I love maps.

No comments: