Monday, November 9, 2009

Streetcar Named Desire




Tim Richards (Mitch) and Cate Blanchett (Blanche) in A Streetcar Named Desire.


Joel Edgerton (Stanley Kowalski), Cate Blanchett (Blanche Dubois) and Robin McLeavyin (Stella) a scene from the Sydney Theatre Company production of Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire.


Saturday afternoon, I got to sit in the Kennedy Center and witness an amazing performance. From start to finish, Ms. Blanchette was infused with energy. Every part of her trembled with life. I adored Robin McLeavyin's Stella as well. She was the perfect foil to Blanche. And Edgerton's Stanley was the perfect mixture of shame, passion, and power. I understood his rages, and I understood why Stella returned to him. I had to scream at myself in my head--"It's wrong!" But I wanted them to be together, despite all the horrible craziness. It wasn't until the end that I realized that Blanche might be the most sane one of them all. She just lived in a crazy world.

The whole show took me on a crazy ride.

I am so happy I got to see this production.

I was particularly fond of Blanche's gentleman caller Mitch, played by Tim Richards. He was a perfect representation of the kindness and gentility that Blanche had been hoping for in a man her whole life.

The whole story broke my heart.



9 comments:

Ace said...

I can't even tell you how jealous I am.

Bumpershine said...

Please don't hotlink to images hosted on my site. As you can see, it's not even showing up.

Anonymous said...

I so regret not getting tickets for this show! I've heard wonderful things. Do you think it's worth paying for a ticket from Craigslist?

Eve said...

So sorry bumpershine--I'll delete the image. And convincemedc--it's worth every penny.

Anonymous said...

Dear Eve:

I hate you.

Love, Mel

Eve said...

Dear Melissa Leilani,

The only thing that kept things from being perfect was the horrible emptiness that we all felt knowing that you weren't there.

Love,

Eve

Salmon Tolman Family said...

I'm super jealous. What a wonderful play to see with great actors! How lucky you are!

Hannah S said...

Jealous!! Cate blanchett live? And in this role? Wow. lucky girl.

SLEAK said...

I got to see the performance too! I also blogged about it! :) How fun!