Thursday, December 27, 2007

Movies I enjoyed in 2007

Before I do a list of favorite movies, keep in mind that I haven't seen Juno, Waitress, Namesake, or even Transformers yet. I'm excited for all that my netflix will bring to me in the coming year.
So far--these are the movies that taught me something in 2007. These are the movies that inspired me to go home and reevaluate myself. There are some movies that I enjoyed like American Gangster and Bourne Ultimatum--but they didn't change my world in the same way that the movies I've listed below did. I'm going to list the movie and what I learned from the movie.

1. The Queen
This movie changed the way I view powerful people. I suddenly felt the urge to go walking everyday. I learned that knowing is better than being known.
2. Pan's Labyrinth
This movie taught me that life is the only thing that can be exchanged for life. Taking human lives for power or money is a horrible exchange. Giving your life to save a life is the only time that violence is not horrible and wrenching.
3. Breach
I learned that the best intentions cannot protect us from pride.
4. Ocean's Thirteen
I learned that watching hot men have fun is fun for everyone!
7. Hairspray
I learned that watching people having a wonderful time is exhilarating!
8. The Simpson's Movie
I saw myself as Homer and I journeyed with him to the north. Truly, an existential experience.
9. Stardust
I learned that Peter O'Toole and Robert DeNiro are both HIlarious!
10. 3:10 to Yuma
This whole "I learned" thing is getting old.
11. Michael Clayton
George Clooney was subtle and delicious and Tilda Swinton was divine!
12. Dan in Real Life
Again, that whole subtle and delicious card gets me every time.
13. August Rush
Okay--I've read the reviews of this film. I've read how this film was "implausible"--ya da ya da. Really folks? It's not realistic? Ya think? I suppose Star Wars is unrealistic too. Gimme a break! It's a movie! Let yourself get past whether it's realistic or not and just enjoy a good modern day fairytale about magic in music.
15. Enchanted
I had a marvelous time watching this movie. Didn't learn a thing. Don't think what's his name is hot in the least bit--but cleaning rats is funny. This movie warmed my heart. And watching Amy Adams cry over the divorcing couple made my heart melt.
17. The Golden Compass
I loved it. I left feeling a need to get to know myself better. Nicole Kidman's scene where she slaps her monkey was incredibly moving. It moved me to ask myself this haunting question: "Am I slapping my metaphorical monkey?" (I'm being completely serious--but the use of the phrase slapping the monkey is kind of cracking me up.)
18. Charlie Wilson's War
Oooh--what a nice bi-partisan look at how we screwed up everything. I'm not sure how this changes the way I view things in the middle east, but I think history is always the best place to look when we're trying to find our bearings.


And that's all I've got for now folks. More favorites to come!

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I heard my brothers talking about slapping thier monkey growing up and I did not think it was funny at all! But NOW I DO! BWAH HAH HAH!