Friday, December 28, 2007

Gladwell, Bhutto, Clinton, and Obama

I've been reading Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink. Benazir Bhutto was murdered yesterday. Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama are running neck and neck in New Hampshire.

These are three seemingly unrelated sentences--but I'm trying to come to a clearer view of the world right now--and somehow or other I'm going to make these three sentences relate to one another.

I just finished reading the Warren Harding chapter in Blink. In this chapter Gladwell explains that we form subconscious views of people based solely on their looks. Harry Daugherty put a mediocre Warren Harding into the White House because he looked presidential where he served for two years as the worst president ever. He explains in this chapter that regardless of how we choose to think in our conscious mind, our subconscious is bombarded with images about who would be the best president. Some analysts think that John Edwards will come out on top in Iowa because he's the white guy. This seems so inconsistent with the way our country should decide on a leader. I'm not opposed to John Edwards--I'm actually concerned that I'm overlooking his politics because I'm excited by what it will say about our country if we finally elect an African American or a woman. Yes I said it!! I'm admitting that this does indeed play a factor in my interest or disinterest in a candidate. Am I wrong? Of course I am! But I will say this--after reading about the subconscious need for Americans to vote for a president that looks presidential--(tall, white, and handsome)--anyone who doesn't fit that mold and manages to break through the ranks must be something worth taking a second look at.

The murder of Benazir Bhutto hit me in the gut yesterday. After watching Charlie Gibson's War, I began to relate to who she was. In the movie, Gia is the President of Pakistan--after Benazir Bhutto's father was ousted and then sentenced to death. After living in exile, she came back to serve as Prime Minister of Pakistan. The rest of her biography can be read on a number of news releases, so I won't recap. Her life--all that she accomplished--contributes to how the world's subconscious views women in politics, women as revolutionary figures, and women in politics in the Middle East. Doesn't it make you wonder a bit when Argentina, Pakistan, England, India, and Israel have all had female presidents and people are still implying that our nation isn't ready for a female president yet? (Thank you Fred Thompson.)

I hear people talk about how they're fine with the idea of a woman president, but they're not okay with Hillary Clinton. That's fine. That's to be expected. But I wonder about the road to the White House for women in America. Could a woman plausibly run on the Republican ticket? Interesting thought. Right now there are 16 female Senators serving. I believe 5 are Republicans. Anyone remember Paula Hawkins? She was a Republican and a Mormon from Florida who served from 1981-1987.

I haven't figured out who I'm going to vote for yet. I will say this though--Hillary Clinton is undoubtedly the smartest of all the candidates. Is smart always effective? Maybe. But I'd prefer smart over obstinate.

As for Barak Obama--I love how he's running. I love the integrity with which he is running. But he's an African-American who smokes. How very un Warren Harding of him! Then again, having Oprah Winfrey on your side is bound to impact the unconscious opinion of many Americans.

I don't even want to talk about the Republican candidates right now. I'm sick the Republican Party. We've had 30 years to see what trickle down economics can do for our country--and I'm sorry--I'm not convinced. It's someone else's turn. In Washington, DC--the salaries of the upper class have sky rocketed, while the poor and middle class incomes are stagnating. The trickle can only trickle if people take the tax break and invest in their employees.

I'm grateful for brave people who's lives help me to change the way I unconsciously view the world. Whether Hillary Clinton wins or not--she's made a positive contribution to how we view leaders in America. And as for Bhutto--she's the poster image for a brave female leader.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

You know, I agree with a lot of what you say (of course). I have not stopped watching the news at home since Bhutto was murdered. I have the very real feeling this is the start of some real universal chaos. Can you believe she went back after her father and brother were murdered?! So many in that country loved her, but there were also those who vowed (and succeeded) in killing her. Brief aside- she has GOT to be the most beautiful woman politcal leader ever!

I despise all of the republican party right about now- ESPECIALLY MITT ROMNEY!

I like Barack best of the Dems, but he is not going to win against the republicans.

I wish the Brownback guy from Kansas was still running. He was the real deal.

love you!

Aili said...

I heard the dumbest story on NPR several weeks ago. They were interviewing black women to find out if they would vote for Obama or Clinton--what's stronger, your affiliation with your gender or your race? Frankly, I thought that was pretty ridiculous. What about the platform??