Monday, July 18, 2011

Dating Narcissism

Yesterday I found out that the guy I was dating earlier this year--well he's now engaged.

He told me that he wanted to wait three years before marriage. He wanted to wait a year before even CONSIDERING marriage.

I made the mistake of laughing at that and saying, "Sure! whatever!"

And this why he is NOT engaged to me.

I thought about being sad about this. I thought about a few of the guys I've dated and how they are happy with other people now.

When you're dating, you say, "I love you! You're amazing! I wish I could be with you forever!" and then they go off and actually spend forever with someone else.

And regardless of who it is--when they find someone else--even if I really wasn't that into them--I feel jilted.

It's ridiculous! I can't be with every guy I date! There is no truth to this kind of pain. It's stupid! I can't be with everyone. Why shouldn't they find happiness?

It's a kind of narcissism. It's a way of seeing yourself as the center of everyone's universe.

Well, I'm clearly not the center of anyone's universe.

blah.

I have been going out with a nice guy for the past three weeks, but I just don't know. I'm not feeling it. But I tell you, after we break up and he finds someone else and gets engaged--I guarantee I'll feel it then. Silly narcissistic me.

Silly silly me.

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

I married off three guys while I was in college. Totally TOTALLY sucked! I love you, and if I were a man I would totally date you.