Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Auditions for To Kill A Mockingbird

Eversince losing my job, life has been continually busy, just without the promise of a steady paycheck.

I was offered a position to teach voice and acting lessons at Midvale Main Street Theatre and I am directing their next production of To Kill A Mockingbird.

Tonight we had the main auditions. It's times like these that I wish I could create a show to include all of the talented actors that come to audition for me. It's hard to turn down actors that are so talented. Because this show is without music, I can't just cast actors as "chorus".  It's going to be very difficult next week. I already had to send a couple of rejection letters tonight. It made me so sad because they were such talented girls... uggggghhhhh!!

I want to see if I can make a living teaching voice and acting lessons, directing shows, and substitute teaching. I also want to start teaching college classes again. Wanting something and making it happen are two very different things. I'm trying though!  Probably not hard enough...

I have an amazing production team working with me on Mockingbird. Miss Heather is my dramaturg and there isn't anyone in the world more qualified. I feel so lucky to have her on board! Tammy is producing the show,  Jan is my costume designer and Cassidy is my set designer.  Now we just have to find the perfect Atticus and Scout. We saw some talented actors tonight, but I am looking forward to call backs.

If this all works out, I am going to love my life. As it is right now, my stomach is in knots. I need a little guidance. I feel like wonderful opportunities are mine for the taking if I prioritize my time well.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I hope it works out! You have always been so talented in theatre I really hope you can make this work for you so you can do something you love and get paid too. :-)