Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Sweeney Reviews are IN!

This was just posted in the Deseret News. Follow this link.

Blair Howell said this about me: "The showstopping comedic number, “A Little Priest,” doesn’t disappoint, as Dale is partnered with Eve Speer as Mrs. Lovett, Todd’s accomplice. Speer, in fine voice, plays Mrs. Lovett as a barrel of laughs."

He also criticized my opening number--but the night he saw it, I had to use the bathroom, and I ended up running on stage out of breath.  It was enough to give me a grand ol' panic attack. But everything else went swimmingly.

This was posted at Backstage. Click here. 

And this is what Robert Easton said: "Eve Speer, who played the diabolical pie maker Mrs. Lovett, was also a standout in this show. Despite an early stumble where it appeared to me she momentarily lost her breath during her first song, Ms. Speer didn’t miss a beat the rest of the night, holding her own opposite Jim Dale’s enthralling Sweeney Todd. Although obviously much younger than the role she was playing, Ms. Speer brought great energy to her darkly comic role and her accent was well done."

This was posted on UTBA. Click here

And here are the kind words of Tony Porter: "Eve Speer was fantastic as Mrs. Lovett. She had a believable accent and the right mix of humor and deceit to make her character quite endearing. She was marvelous in “A Little Priest” and “By the Sea.”

I am so thankful for the friends who have come to see the play! An older woman came up to me and paid me the most lovely compliment. She is a jazz singer. She and her friend said that I was the best Mrs. Lovett that they had ever seen.

I fairly floated home that night.

So happy. So very happy.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

YAY!!!! I am SO happy and excited for you. I really wish I could have seen it. Congrats!