Thursday, December 13, 2012

Women Part 2: Pants

If men knew how glorious wearing a dress was--they'd understand why men wore togas and skirts for thousands of years before buttoning on their trousers.

As an evolved woman, I have embraced the glorious "dress". I can spin in a circle! I can make it long, or pull it up short for convenient air conditioning. And when I gain or lose weight--the skirt still fits!

As many of you have heard, this Sunday LDS women have an opportunity to support feminism by wearing pants.

Argh. There are a million feelings tied in with this.

I am a lucky woman. I was raised by a strong feminist mother. My grandmother has been a widow for 50 years. My father and my step-father are both incredibly respectful of women, and if my mother or my step-mother ever felt they weren't respected, open dialogue was encouraged. And things changed. In the same light, I was taught to love and respect men.

As a single woman, I have never experienced unrighteous dominion at church or in my home.

I have never been judged by my peers for wearing pants to church, because I love to wear dresses.

I have never been judged for working instead of staying home with my kids, because I don't have kids.

These issues aren't personal to me. And so there is a temptation to dismiss them or to say that they don't exist.

In my ward, the bishopric and their wives sit on the stand--demonstrating that men and women serve together as leaders. I see equality in the church. I see women and men leading committees, saying prayers, teaching men and women, and I feel heard.

But I know that it is not that way everywhere.

I had no intention of wearing pants on Sunday because I don't feel like there's a problem in my limited experience. And I believe in the priesthood authority. I believe that there is a reason why men are called to lead and to serve. It isn't easy to explain--but I love how the priesthood allows men to live up to their potential as sons of God. And as a woman in the church, I feel empowered. My grandmother and my mother both serve in the temple and exercise their power in sacred ordinances. I believe that women have far more spiritual power than they allow themselves to have. As a feminist--I want to encourage my sisters to live up to the power that God and the Gospel gives them and not to be afraid of it or to lie about their nature saying, "I'm just a girl."

But then I read some horrible comments on the events page. And I felt this horrible feeling that I was abandoning my friends and my sisters who were not as fortunate.

Things are not perfect. As a church, we become better at respecting ourselves and one another.  I believe that what we can be is not where we are. And this has NOTHING to do with church policy, and everything to do with how we view one another.

So--because technically the church does not frown on wearing pants--
And because I want my sisters to know that I too believe we can be better and we should be better--
And because I believe by wearing pants I am not going AGAINST my leaders--but rather SUPPORTING them in their efforts to convey that respect for one another is a part of the Lord's will--
And because I believe that support for gender equality DOES NOT have to mean just identifying with those who want women to receive the priesthood--
I choose to wear pants on Sunday.

Worst case scenario--the women who planned the event wanted to use this as a platform to promote giving women more priesthood responsibility and to protest against the church leadership. 

I will participate for my own reasons, and perhaps you will participate for your own reasons. And those who wish to jump to the worst case scenario conclusions about this will be left to wonder where we stand--and perhaps it will open up conversations and help us to actually identify and confirm those things that we want to encourage and change in ourselves, our families and our congregations.

9 comments:

Bonny@Spontaneousniceties said...

As usual, your insight helps me form my own opinions.

Eve said...

Thank you! I have other thoughts about what I have loved about different church leaders. I will share those thoughts later when I get my brain together.

CMS said...

I was worried to read this, and pleasantly surprised. Yay, you. Some people don't "believe in" climate change, but that doesn't mean it's not happening... Same thing here.

Also, did you sit by Courtney Kendrick? Big fan of her (but not Steph)

Eve said...

Yes. I knew her husband in college. It was a joy meeting her. I am sorry you were worried... but happy you were pleased. After all this time, I would hope that you would expect more from me. :)

Unknown said...

Eve I loved reading of your struggle. You have really put a lot of thought and emotion into this. My husband and I are both feminists and we come from long lines of strong, powerful women. I don't support wearing pants to church, simply because as a feminist I don't appreciate feeling pigeonholed. Who says I can not be just as powerful, just as supportive of women, wearing a dress? Are the organizers of this protest suggesting that Marie Curie or Susan B Anthony or Michelle Obama or a number of other women of the past and present were not powerful because they wore/wear dresses? This seems so ridiculous to me. The only thing it accomplishes in my mind is demeaning the reverence of the chapel. We wear dresses to theater. Why would we show less respect to God. The point of the dress is not to bring down or limit a woman's potential. When we dress up we put ourselves in a different mood and posture. My husband HATES ties, but at church he wears one as a means of respect for the meeting. I never look down on anyone who wears pants to church. I knew an elderly lady who wore dressy pants every Sunday. I don't have a problem with it, but I think creating a PROTEST in the chapel...who are these protesters protesting against. The men who love, support, and cherish them?! Or the God who has offered them all that he has? I don't get it. While I love you very much. I refuse to support this protest.

Unknown said...

Hope I didn't come on too strong! I got going with my passionate typing and perhaps hurt you. I would never do that intentionally. I really look up to you and respect you. Sorry if my feelings about the protest offended you personally.

Eve said...

It doesn't offend me in the least bit. I don't like the idea of it as a protest either. Which is why I am choosing to do it as a supportive measure. I just want to show love. And confidence in my leaders. I completely understand where you're coming from. And I may be one of a few who are wearing pants in a show of love and support, rather than protest. This is why I'm actively expressing my reasons and my opinions so that I can be clear--I am not protesting the church. Of course I love the church--I am there every week, despite all my flaws. I am now trying to figure out a way to make pants as beautiful and respectful as my dresses. Please know that though our choices may differ- I am so glad you are making the choice that feels right to you. It is okay for two good people to make two different right choices.

Heidi said...

I really appreciate your insights, Eve. I'm going to tell a little story about my granddad's funeral--the Funeral From Hell. It wasn't held in an LDS chapel so there wasn't really a dress code. We had relatives show up in cut-offs and tank tops, and other relatives show up in Sunday best. Some of the "Sunday best" relatives are INCREDIBLY judgmental Mormons (and they don't even live in Utah). My youngest sister, who is inactive, had brought skirts and pants, but her skirts were a little too small and she wasn't comfortable in them, so she opted to wear pants. I'd brought both pants and skirts as well, and decided to wear pants to support my sister. I didn't want her to get any dirty looks from anyone. I honestly feel that my wearing pants to support my sister was more of a tribute to my grandfather than anything the judgmental relatives ever did or said. I'd do it again. For this Sunday, though, I will wear a dress but support those who choose to wear pants. "For man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel, 16:7)

Eve said...

Heidi--I loved your comment! Thank you!