Saturday, December 8, 2012

Women

Last night I went to see Melissa Leilani Larson's show Martyr's Crossing. 

I love Mel's words. Every turn of phrase is well constructed.

I love that she focuses on women. It is such a pleasant experience to see a play about women where getting married and having children is briefly referred to... (these aren't bad things at all)... BUT... It is lovely when a writer conveys the crazy notion that as women, we do have other things to focus on.

I was sitting with my dear friend Lyn. Lyn works as a hospice nurse. She was a little emotionally raw because she has lost patients very recently. After the show, I turned to her and said, "So this show was about angels who lead mortals thru the pains of death. In other words, we just saw a play about you dear." She laughed and cried.

I can't believe I'm actually friends with a person like this. She is an angel. A real life angel.

To my right was a writer named Courtney.  I spent the afternoon today reading her blog. Such amazing experiences, told in such a raw and powerful way.

I want to live up to the power of my sex.

I am so happy to be a woman.

This song has nothing to do with this post, but it's in my head... And it makes me laugh.



2 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

You sat by "the" Courtney of CJane's blog?
The play sounds incredible...you are so lucky to experience such wonderful culture and art in all forms! I wish that I lived closer to opportunities like this!

Eve said...

I wish that you lived closer because I wish that you were closer!! It is Courtney of CJane's blog. She was beautiful, inside and out. Much like my friend Kala. :)