Wednesday, April 22, 2015

5 Lesbians Is HILARIOUS



Last Friday night, I took my dad to see a very funny play entitled 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche at the Sugar Space (616 Wilmington Ave, Salt Lake City--just off of 2100 South and 700 East). Produced by Silver Summit Theatre (http://silversummittheatre.org/) and directed by the dynamic duo Dave Hanson and Amy Allred of A-Muses (http://www.a-muses.com/)

The show plays through April 26th at 8pm.

So there's the informational bit...

Here's the fun bit.

When we walked in, they gave us each a name tag. We felt so included. My 60 something year old father relished his part as a 1950's widow named Edith or Doris (I can't remember which.) Blair Howell sat just to our left with a name tag that read "Marjory". Poor Marjory.

All around us, people were laughing and preparing themselves for a show about quiche and lesbians.

When the meeting began, we met 5 gloriously tailored women straight out of 1956 played by Julianna Boulter Blake, Mandi Titcomb, Michelle Linn Hall, Karli Rose Lowry, and Julie Silvestro Waite. All five actors were delightful, complicated, hilarious, and mischievous. If I had to pick my favorite, it would be Michelle Hall. She just had this little wink about her that was absolute perfection. She was born to play a 1950s widow/lesbian.


Because this blog is entitled All About Evey... I have to selfishly find a way to make everything all about me.

My grandmother was a widow...(my grandfather died in the early 60s). And my mother was born in 1956... And if that isn't enough of a coincidence... I LOVE QUICHE! Granted, unlike the ladies of the Susan B Anthony something something Society having to do with Gertrude Stein--I prefer my quiche with meat in it. (There's a double meaning here if it hasn't hit you over the head just yet...)

My dad is a horrible critic. He will sit smugly in his chair while everyone else laughs politely until a joke slaps him upside the head. Then he will guffaw. Actors and directors adore when he's in the audience and he is pleased with a performance because the energy of his laugh ripples through the crowd. I'm telling you, the energy in that place was like pecan ripple and fudge ripple on a big ol' spoon. Delicious!

The show was hilarious.

The entire crowd roared throughout the 80 minute production.

It was a glorious night of fun at the theatre.

Utah Theatre, you keep dazzling the world with your witty theatrical choices. I'm just so pleased to be a part of this vibrant community of artists.

Well done.

If you don't already have tickets, visit  http://www.buyyourtix.com/tickets?c=6&e=10 for tickets. Seating is limited so the tickets will likely sell out. Besides, it's only $15 for advance tickets.

No comments: