Saturday, May 22, 2010

New York City







For as long as I can remember, New York City has lingered in the back of my mind as a place I really didn't want to love. It's so expensive. And it's dirty. And everyone thinks that if you do theatre there, for some reason that show is infinitely better than the theatre done in Utah or Iowa.

Well, that's ridiculous. It's just another town. Granted--a very large town--but it's just another town filled with people who breathe and eat and pay their bills, like any other town. The theatre they produce is fantastic because great people go there to do great theatre. But great people live in Utah and produce great theatre too. In fact, I find in community theatre that people bring an element of love into their work that translates on the stage. I have no delusions that just because it's in NYC, it's somehow a better show.

Having said that . . .

I've decided to give up my amazing job and move to NYC this fall to do a show.

It's a musical about a hippo named Mimi who falls in love with a mouse named Gustav. I have no idea how I'm going to make this happen, but it's the lead in a new musical at a great off broadway playhouse with a fantastic director and producer.

I went up to NYC for the second meeting yesterday. It was amazing. i am so nervous around everyone. They want me there for preproduction meetings. Not sure why. But it's been wonderful.

After the rehearsal, I went to see a show and have dinner with a friend who was in town from Utah. Then I just walked around the city for a bit. I breathed in the air, felt the energy of the people, stared up at the lights and marveled that at 11 o'clock, the city was still very much alive.

I began to fall in love a little bit.

I could tolerate this town from September to about March.

And then I'm moving to Utah. But that's a whole 'nother post.



7 comments:

CMS said...

I love it!! I LOVE IT! We will come see you!! It will be the highlight of my thirties (well, aside from marriage and child...)

I adore you and you are so free, open, learning, living, loving, experiencing. It is energizing just reading this!

Sunshine said...

Wha? Your moving back to Utah? Awesome! and good for you. I hope you have fun, breath it in and take it for all its worth.

love your guts

Mama Bean said...

WOW! That is pretty amazing stuff! I couldn't be happier for you. I am sure you will enjoy NYC while you are there! I do hope you move to Utah. I would love to see your face again...and maybe hit up a few shows! :)

Melissa said...

Wonderful! How exciting! And coming to Utah will be awesome too...then I can hire you to take pictures of me and my family. ;)

Melanie said...

WOW! Eve! WOnderful news. All of it. How amazing that you get to do an off Broadway play first. I honestly think that will help you decide a LOT of things about your career and future. I truly do.

Hooray for solid plans! Hooray that I get to see you again soon!

Salmon Tolman Family said...

WOW! SO happy for you and this new adventure in your life! I've never even been to NYC, so I'm a tad jealous too. You are such a rockstar, and I love your determination and courage and your awesome God-given talents!!!

RedPoppy said...

First you are a redhead, second you are smart and eloquent, and third you're starring in a play. In New York.... I am loving you and your blog!! Congratulations! I have lived in NYC for 10 years and though it does suck the life out of you, dirty and sticky and all, its beauty lies in its being filled with life...would love to come see your play...
and thanks for listing RedPoppy in your blog list x