Sunday, June 13, 2010

Saturday

Yesterday was a crazy busy day.

I feel stretched so thin right now. I am playing hooky from church today.

Don't judge me. I have my visiting teaching scheduled. I just have no obligations to play the piano, lead music, or visit anyone and I just want to take advantage of it and stay in my Iowa pajama bottoms and my worn out tee shirt and read a good book.

I'm going to make a short list of what I did yesterday.

I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Granted--it was a great day. I feel blessed, but for a girl who is happiest kicking back at home with friends and lovers--this was a bit too much.

1) I went to graduation at Stratford University. Congratulations students!

2) I saw Lawrence Fishburne in his one-man play Thurgood. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. 2 hours of pure, inspiring storytelling.

3) Christina and I left the luminous Marcia and we went to a great Mexican Restaurant where we ate fresh guacamole.

4) I bought a fake Prada purse from a street vendor named Phillip who is here from Sierra Leone. We talked about how Africa is doing. I'm pretty convinced that I need to figure out a way to go to Africa.

5) I went to a yogurt shop and had lemon, red velvet cake, and mango frozen yogurt, while I read from the last book of the Fablehaven series.

6) I joined a group of friends and saw Mrs. Warren's Profession at the Shakespeare Theatre Company. The play was meh. The performances were great. The interpretation and the direction was vague and diluted by an obvious misinterpretation of Mr. Shaw's intentions. You misinterpret the playwright--or try to wrangle his interpretation to fit your own view of life and well--you get vague slop. Regardless of whether the actors are genius or not. The set was beautiful though. Because that's what the Shakespeare Theatre does best. Sets. Which is ironic when you think about original staging practices.

7) I went grocery shopping for food.

The end. That was my day.

And now I am tired.

No comments: