Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Taking Control

Day one of take control:

I applied for 7 jobs today and revamped and edited both my CV and my work resume.

I know I'm making mistakes doing too much too quickly and I need to slow down in my application process, but I will feel better as soon as I have found a job post August.

I could always just stay here in DC with the job I already have, but I have felt since last November that my time in DC is up.

And so I'm honoring that feeling, and moving on.

I have known that I would need to get a phd ever since I finished my masters. I finally found a phd program that fits me.

It's a phd in Education, Culture and Society at the University of Utah.

Here are some of the course requirements:

Every student must complete 6 hours in each specialty area and 9 hours in educational theory. See courses below.

a.History, Philosophy and Sociological Studies (6 hours)
b.Language, Culture and Curriculum (6 hours)
c.Educational Theory (9 hours)

I have died and gone to heaven.

Literally.

I want this.

This is exactly what I want.

And so I'm taking control and I'm taking hold of the life that I want.

I have missed the deadline for this fall--which is great--I can explore all sorts of options this fall. I've applied for jobs in NYC and Utah. If I get a job in NYC--I'll still do the show in NYC and move to Utah in the spring as planned.

If I get a job in Utah, I'll develop residency in Utah before starting the phd program and save some money living with my grandma. (Granted, I won't live there too long.) Life in Utah is so much cheaper than life in NYC. And I really love the idea of being near family again. I left Utah 8 years ago this coming August. It's time to go back.

I feel so much better than I did 24 hours ago.

Tonight, I will sleep like a baby.

3 comments:

Miss Heather said...

I thought you were doing a play in NYC until next March... not true??

Eve said...

I am. I am exploring all my options. I need to figure out life AFTER the play. And I want to start a phd program Fall 2011.

Melissa said...

Yay yippee yay! I am so excited for you!!! :) I love it when there are programs that just fit what we want to learn about. When you are hanging around the U you will have to stop at Aristo's sometime. It is a wonderful Greek restaurant right by there.