Thursday, April 16, 2009

Reasons to Be Happy

This week has been a crapper of a week. It seems that everyone I talk to has been having a bad week. Except for my mother, who I believe has found the holy grail of anti-depressants because she was positively chipper the last time I talked to her.

But other than my happier than thou mother, it would appear that many of my friends--myself included in this bunch, are experiencing a "Winter is over, please stop raining, I need it to be sunny now, oh good grief it's freezing, where's the ice cream, oh wait that's right, I need to lose my winter weight so that my clothes will fit" kind of depression right now.

So here's my little attempt at finding happiness in the midst of a poopy week.

List of Reasons to Be Happy:
1) I can listen to conference whenever I want now. I don't have to wait until conference weekend to enjoy the pick me up of listening to prophets and apostles give comfort and wisdom.
2) Even though I know that I've gained weight, my clothes still fit, because I gain my weight in my boobs. How lucky is that? (I still need to lose weight--but we're looking for silver linings here.)
3) I am currently giving a midterm. This makes me happy because the snotty students who have sauntered in late or left early, or spent class time texting instead of participating in class lectures are now sweating over my little test. Victory is mine!! You WILL learn, whether you like it or not! (There's nothing quite so satisfying as seeing students sweat over an open book test.)
4) The rain cleaned the world last night. This morning's drive was beautiful. The sky was blue, the trees were green, and the roads were shiny!
5) I am going to Iowa over Memorial Day to visit my dad and brother! I love Iowa. It's like a little heaven on earth.
6) My mom is coming out to Virginia to visit me in July!! I get to take her to Chincoteague Island. I'm so excited!
7) My brother Nick got into Bear River High's Madrigals. For his auditon he sang Eh Via Buffone from Mozart's Don Giovanni. Yep. We're related.
8) I have lovely red sheets on my bed. And lots of pillows.
9) I have daffodils blooming in my kitchen right now.
10) Sadey Sue unloaded the dishwasher and took out the trash yesterday, despite feeling less than. It was wonderful.
11) My students in my English class are incredibly impressive writers. It's a joy to read their stuff.
12) Midterm week. (sigh) No lectures, just me watching students sweat over an exam. I said it earlier, but it is so worth repeating. This is so much easier to than planning 4 hours of material per class. Their little brains look like they're going to explode!

And that is my list of reasons why this is not a crapper week, but a very good week.

I'll go ahead and list the obvious reasons everyone should be happy too:

1) Pictures of sexy men are everywhere in supermarkets and online. How can you see a picture of Hugh Jackman and not smile.
2) Laughing babies can be found night and day on youtube.
3) Ice cream.
4) exercise balls are fun to play on, and they make you feel like you're "working out".
5) facebook! Sometimes connecting with old friends can be so satisfying. (And that's all I'll say about that. Just know that there's a special meaning in that--and I know you have your own special reasons for loving facebook--so we'll just maintain a happy understanding about it. Wink wink, nudge, nudge.)
6) Cheese! It makes everything tasty!
7) Panang Curry! It's hot and sweet and sooooo delicious!
8) Friends who blog. I love reading about your life. Whether it's the good stuff or the bad stuff, it's wonderful to be able to see what makes you tick. I love it.
9) Finishing taxes at 11pm on April 15th!
10) Having the money to be able to pay your taxes! (This is the first year I've ever owed. It sucks.)
11) Ipods!

5 comments:

Mama Bean said...

We beat you. e-filed at 10:47pm. NICE.

Unknown said...

This is why I love you Eve-E. Sure enough, this week has seemed to be (for me) one of the less than thrilling weeks... aside from a Princess Party that I had with the twins yesterday. That was rather fun, hehe. YES to the beautiful skies and handsome men. YES to the having the money to pay taxes (alas, it was my first year to owe as well). YES to the "workouts" or... make believe workouts ;-) hehehe. And you better believe it: YES to the great friends like you that bring a smile and light to a semi-dreary day. ~BIG HUGS~

Diane said...

AMEN~

Connie said...

I have had a rotten week but I love your list of reasons to be happy. I definitely agree about Hugh Jackman too. He is just too perfect for me.

Hannah {Bonne Nouvelle} said...

I totally agree with you about Hugh Jackman.
I am glad you are able to find the good things in life to be happy about. thanks for sharing!

Oh, thank you for your honest feedback on my blog too. I really appreciate your opinion. I like to have the east coast opinions bcse, well, they are sometimes more helpful than the Utah ones for several reasons. so thank you for keeping me in touch w/you all :)