Tuesday, August 11, 2009

State of the Union

I'm sitting in my Eng 320 class. They are perusing William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience in an effort to find a poem to analyze.

I'm hoarse and tired of talking, so this is good.

I feel like I never blog anymore. Perhaps it's because I'm working through a lot of different feelings right now.

I don't quite know how to describe my life. It's different. I'm not different, but life is.

For the first time ever, I'm not worried about money. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of bills to pay--but I feel secure in knowing that I can cover my bills. This is a new thing. I don't have to fight for respect at work anymore.

As for time, it's there. Lots of it. And so I do little things like bake muffins and pour vinegar and baking soda down the sink. (It's really fun!)

I love my calling. I am the assistant personal progress leader in Young Women. It seems like a made up calling, but I get great satisfaction in meeting with the girls one on one to discuss their goals and to get to know them. I find myself incredibly moved by their integrity and their pure willingness to do good.

My friends are all going through wonderful life changes. Currently, most of them are pregnant. I shall make a list--if I missed a name--let me know! Sarah, Lesley, Rachel, Kuuipo, Beth Ann, Maribeth, and somehow this list seemed longer in my head.

My closest friends in DC are out and about doing wonderful things. Mike is constantly sharing wonderful new comedic material. He possesses the lethal combination of talent and drive--coupled with an ability to find work and to get to it. Sade is currently doing humanitarian work in Guatamala. And Angelina is off serving our country in Iraq. These are the people I get to rub shoulders with on a daily basis. Well, Angelina--not so much. But she comes home in February!

And as for my distant friends, I love seeing pictures of growing children, reading of new adventures, and hearing your opinions on politics, movies, etc. It is good to know that despite our differences, if we were next door neighbors, we'd probably laugh it up on the back deck as we grill steaks and pineapple. Gotta have the pineapple.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I love you and miss you.

I am not pregnant.

I appreciate your car-perusing abilities. I have ten minutes here and there, which is not enough time. We actually have not had the time to leave the house to find a car.

In three weeks, we have had NO TIME...

... Maybe if we went on a Sunday.

But then we would burn in hell, right?


I love young women too. They make me feel that our future is in good hands and that it is not as bad as it seems. I have no idea about the personal progress thing though, and neither does Valerie. Our ward is interesting that way.

I hear "I hope you are working on your personal progress... " about one time every six months, but I need to know more than that to help my daughter.


Hey! You should help us!

Want to go to Six Flags for my birthday?! It is August 22.

I think you are pretty awesome.

I wish my bosoms away often.

Abby is Back :-D

love you!

Eve said...

I miss you too! I'll send you links to cars whenever I find ones that fit your criteria--which I've decided is under 80,000 miles, 4-door, within 150 miles. As for birthday at 6 Flags--August 22--I'm so in!! Except that I'm supposed to host a giant cast party that night at my house. But--I can do both!!