Sunday, November 14, 2010

Being an Actor! (said with a haughty accent)

I start my new job tomorrow.

This week has been incredibly busy, and incredibly fulfilling.

I forgot how much I love acting. There's a reason I have 3 degrees in this stuff--and it's not just because I'm a total glutton and wanted to acquire massive amounts of debt for a profession that doesn't pay anything.

We opened One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It was a little rocky at the beginning of the week with the tech--or absence of tech. There are a lot of technical things about the show--music cues, bells and whistles that have to be there--and the director decided that it was more important to "get used to running the show at 7" then it was to have a tech rehearsal. I thought I would die. So there were some really big technical glitches on the preview night. It was a bit heartbreaking.

But then things came together. I might have yelled at the director just a teensy bit. I felt like he kind of just stopped directing this week--when he was supposed to be pulling all of the elements together. I won't go into details--but trust me I was completely justified. There was an absolutely integral lighting cue that was missed two nights in a row--and it was missed the second night because the director was lazy and didn't talk to the lighting guy about it!! So I gave him a piece of my mind.

And the rest of the week went so well. I love doing this show. I love the concentration and the stillness I have to find in playing such a cold bitch! It's just really wonderful. I love the power that a beautiful story has on a community of actors and audience members.

Last night one of the actors paid me a beautiful compliment. I can't remember it, something about me being an awesome actress--but it made me feel so good.

So I'm going to get new headshots and get with an agency. This show has been wonderful because I've met so many working actors who are showing me how to break into the Utah scene.

Come see the show. It's funny and touching. I'm really proud of it.

Come see it!

No comments: