Thursday, December 26, 2013

Bad Brain

Christmas was fantastic. Seriously. I love my family. Fantastic day!

This post isn't about that.

This post is about how my brain stopped working in two very important moments this week,

It started when I thought Christmas was on Tuesday.

I had it in my mind that I had to work the day after Christmas--on Wednesday.

I completely spaced that I have Thursdays off.

I told everyone I'd be back on Thursday. I planned everything around working on Thursday.

It worked out great. I was able to spend Christmas morning and lunch with my family in Tremonton and then head back to Salt Lake to spend Christmas evening/birthday with my dad--who turned 61 yesterday!

But I wasn't scheduled to work today.

When it finally dawned on me that I had two days off--I called the other manager and told him to enjoy a day off. I already had it in my mind to work. There's no undoing it now.

But who does that? Who completely spaces these things?

Apparently, I do.

As I was leaving for Tremonton on Tuesday, I threw all my laundry into the laundry bag and grabbed a few other things. I was showered and looking good. I was so excited to stop by my grandma's house and enjoy a Christmas Eve lunch with her. I thought to myself, "Self, Did you forget anything?" And I really really thought I hadn't. I had the presents wrapped in the trunk. Everything was ready to go...

It wasn't until I was getting into bed that night that I remembered my CPAP machine.

Those of you who sleep with a CPAP machine are now gasping in horror. You know this moment. You've been here before.

I stared at the pillows and tried to figure out how on earth I was going to sleep without the machine.

Sure, I slept for 33 years without a CPAP machine... I think.

I tried sleeping with one pillow, with two pillows, sitting up, on my back, on my side, mouth open, mouth closed, in the pitch black, in the silence, with netflix going on my phone, with the light on. I would fall asleep for 15 minutes and jerk myself awake when I stopped breathing. I finally gave up and just watched TV for a few hours, falling asleep for a few minutes at a time. I think I actually slept for a couple of hours in there, but I was absolutely exhausted all of Christmas day.

When I went to bed last night, in my own bed, and I put that sweet beautiful mask on my face--oh the sweet sweet joy. I slept like a rock from 11pm until 7am. It was so good!

So why does this happen? How do you completely forget two things like a day off and the machine that makes it so you're not a walking zombie?

Today, I'm grateful for sleep and for the extra money from working on my day off. Merry Christmas everybody!

No comments: