Saturday, March 13, 2010

New Diet

I have had a very hard time figuring out what diet to try. I have a horrible relationship with food. I need to eat every few hours or I go crazy. My head hurts, I get cranky.

I have tried counting calories, but what usually happens there is I cheat and just wait until the end of the day to eat 1,000 calories. This means that I spend the day in a haze of hunger. This is stupid and it doesn't work.

I have tried going to the gym. I am awesome at the gym. I can push my heart rate and sweat my brains out for 2 hours. And I love every minute of it. But--it usually means that I come home hungry and feel justified eating whatever I want because I just ripped it up at the gym.

In 2008, I lost 40 pounds by going to the gym. Yay me!!
In 2009, I gained 40 pounds because I didn't go to the gym. Boo me.

So 2010 started and I was feeling poopy.

My mom sent me an email from her friend Karen outlining a new diet plan called Medifast. I read about it on the tsfl.com website. (If you want info--just ask me and I'll put you in touch with Karen, but this really isn't a commercial.)

I wasn't sure because I didn't want to pay for a program and just blow the cash. So I went on an experiment where I cut sugar and caffeine for 2 weeks just to see if I had the self-control to do it. I was great! I cut my calories and I did just fine. I lost about 8 pounds. I noticed that my metabolism was slowing. I was eating about 1,400 calories a day--but if I had a bad day--I immediately gained 3 pounds. NOT cool.

So I decided to Medifast. I ordered my food. You basically eat 5 (100 Calorie) meals throughout the day at your convenience and 1 meal with lean meat and greens. It would seem that you'd be hungry, but if I get hungry, I'm supposed to eat another 100 calorie meal. So I'm always happy!

I started this last Thursday and I've lost 13 pounds so far. It's a little ridiculous.

And freaking awesome!!!

I get the concept. If you keep eating throughout the day, your metabolism stays raised, but because you're eating portioned meals, you never eat too many calories. Let me tell you though--I am pushing the limits of the lean and green meal. I have been to Outback Steakhouse 3 times in the last week for a giant steak with a side of brocolli and green beans. And I'm going again tonight.

I'm enjoying it.

And that's all she wrote about that.

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Freaking awesome!!!!!

Melanie said...

I have a couple of cousins that have done this diet, and I'm not exagerating, they've each lost about 100 lbs on it. Good got you! I hope you continue to see awesome results. I really think it's a pretty sustainable lifestyle change, actually.