Monday, June 9, 2008

My tormented weekend.

I swear I'm not manic, but after my recent post about being sappy and happy--I experienced a tormented weekend.

Friday morning I woke up blissfully happy. I skipped downstairs to pay my bills since I finally have the money to do such things. I paid everything I could and then left myself a cushion of $76 until I got paid on Wednesday. No biggie. I've been living off nothing for the past week! I paid my student loan bills, phone bill, etc. All was well!

I left for the gym, but first turned on the AC for the first time this summer. It's sweltering. I was looking forward to coming home to a nice cool house. (Can you hear the birds chirping on my wonderful life?)

Then the weekend from hell began.

I came home from the gym and the house wasn't any cooler. Hmmmm. Maybe I should change the air filter! Nothing can bring me down! I packed my car ready to head off to Baltimore right after work. I was going to dog sit for my friends Megan and Jim. I was looking forward to a weekend of playing with animals!

Before leaving for work, my roommates informed me that the AC was broken.

Well, not a problem! I'll be gone for the weekend! (okay big problem, but I'm okay. . .we are okay!)

I got on the freeway and traffic seemed to moving at a nice steady pace, 15 mph. I could feel the wind blowing through my hair as my broken muffler sang along the highway. The AC's been out for ages. Then, just as I'm about 5 miles from work, I feel the clutch go out. I pull over to the side of the road and call Geico only to discover I don't have roadside assistance. I swallow my pride and call my mother. By this time the heat is getting to me and I can't think straight. It was 96 degrees, with 80% humidity and I was sitting in my car on the side of a busy freeway.

My mother graciously offered to pay for the tow.

The towtruck guy towed me and my car to work. I was an hour late, but better late than never!

My class ended at 8:30pm because only one student showed. (grrrrr.)

My roommate that kindly had offered to pick me up from class wasn't there by 10:15pm, so I got a ride home with a coworker. Then my kind roommate drove me to Baltimore so I could be with the doggy and kitties for the weekend.

I was armed with claritin, but not with tampons. And lo and behold, while trapped in a house, with no car, and no way to get tampons--my period started!!

I stayed in the air conditioned house, watching tv, and staying fairly comatose for a good 24 hours.

Good things that happened this weekend amidst the bad:

After forgetting to leave the keys in the car for the mechanic when I left work Friday night--I remembered that I had a spare key in the car that I had discovered while cleaning out the car on Thursday. Lucky me!

Morgan, my choir director at church, came and picked me up from Baltimore Sunday morning!

We sang an amazing spiritual at church yesterday, and I was able to be there for it!

I found that paper towels are great replacement for other things.

When I arrived home Sunday morning, the house was sweltering from the lack of AC.

Okay, so that last one wasn't exactly a good thing, but oh well.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to pay to get my car fixed and find a ride to work tonight.

5 comments:

Crystal said...

You crack me up. I dont like tampons, but I have been there with the papertowels. I honestly refuse to live in a place without central air. I had a house with only window units for a couple years and then I bought my first house and that has been the rule ever since.

This weather is awful and I fear for your health today- is your bedroom upstairs? There is a heat index of 111 here and we are not surrounded by NoVa asphalt. You can come stay with us... when you get a car (didn't you JUST replace your clutch?). I keep our house at 67 because of the pregnancy and my desire to still be using my blankie.

I have not gone to church in 2 weeks. Sick and just dragging myself around. Sometimes I dont ever even change out of jammies.

Anyway. I love you. You make me happy.

Hannah S said...

Ugh. How awful. I hate the heat too. It makes me so irritable.I hope some money will come through so you can get your car fixed.

Eve said...

I'm good! It wasn't my clutch--the line to the clutch broke, so it wasn't so bad and my mama covered me. (Her kindness shall be repaid after payday this week.)

As for the AC--it's still off and it's about 93 degrees in here right now. I just about froze to death at my class tonight. I'm going to get a cold going into other air conditioned buildings! After the mission in Dallas and two summers in VA without AC--I'm pathetically used to the heat.

Crystal said...

What a relief! I refuse to get used to the heat. I am such a baby there. We never had AC all growing up and we lived in an old farm house in Southern Missouri. I remember being so miserable... I would get up in the middle of the night, get into the bathtub, run pure cold water, sit in there and wash my hair to the point of shivering, just to be able to fall asleep at night... ah, those were the days.

I want to see you though. I wish I knew more clearly certain situations that come into play with making a visit...

Eve said...

I was thinking about making a trip down there soon in order to rehearse a scene with Lesley for an upcoming performance in Floyd. I would love to visit you at that time. We have to work out the details since her family will be intown for the weekend and I have to hold Midsummer auditions this weekend. I'll let you know as soon as I know!