Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Career Fair

Tonight I presented at the church's career fair. It was incredibly intimidating. There were 12 presenters from different fields. I had no idea how many interesting careers there are among the members of the church here. One of the men presenting was in Midsummer. He presented on working in Intelligence. One woman talked about working as a producer for Wolf Blitzer. Seriously . . . yeah.

Over the past couple of weeks I've had the wonderful opportunity to really ponder my own career.

On the drive over to the church, my dad asked me what I was going to get my phd in. (sigh)

Two weeks ago, I had an interesting conversation with the former dean of my department. He told me that he was leaving the department and said that he was going to submit my name as his replacement. For the dean. the dean. dean. It was a little overwhelming. The fact is, the position is more about administration and finding a balance between the students, professors, and the powers that be (ie money). My talents lie in finding that balance and cooperation. I know I could do it, but I can't do it because I don't have my . . . . .phd.

I am working with the head of the Computer Programming masters program right now, and he strongly suggested I get my . . . .phd.

Seriously, I have no idea what to plan for anymore. I should just get the phd.

grrrrrr . . . . .

Why am I so against this? What is my problem? I guess I just can't stomach making a 5 year commitment to an area. Of study or geographically speaking.

Unless. . . . I found a cool program in England! I could commit to that!!!

I want to look into sustainable theatres. Green theatre if you will.

But that's another line of thought.

6 comments:

Miss Heather said...

No one wants to write a dissertation... you're not dumb, you're smart!

Christina said...

Ugh. The thought of more school makes me want to enter Witness Protection...as if it's hunting me down until I give into writing a neverending dissertation and even more loans! AUGH! I hear your frustration, my friend. I'm interested to see where we both decide to go from here, though. :)

Russ and Katie Olsen Family said...

Eve- You should go for it!! I know you can do it, and the way I look at it is this - the 5 years are going to come and go anyway, so you might as well have something to show for it once they are up! You are extremely talented and amazing and the world is a better place because you're in it!

Sunshine said...

Freaking awesome! Get your PHD!!!! You would be great as a Dean!

Diane said...

So my initial reaction is "2 MASTERS DEGREES AREN'T ENOUGH??" And then a moment of clarity as I read others comments--good friends, you have---1) you apply to a doc program and they will give you a teaching position to pay (or help)for it 2)England...I could do England visits...3)5 years (or so)and you're doing very little deviating from your norm now only MORE theatre (and reading--I won't say writing because frankly, w/ all the blogging, facebook,etc. you could have written a dissertation by now!)Just my humble opinion~ We're behind ya kiddo, whatever you decide!

Eve said...

Mother! You wrote a comment! I love it!! Yay!! Everyoone, Diane is my mother. And she's my favorite.