Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Knitting (I mean Crocheting)


I am learning how to knit (crochet). I love how it requires so much of my concentration. When Robin was teaching me, she told me that you had to relax in order to create stitches that were relaxed.

So far I've created two amazing creations.

That's right, I said it, amazing.

The first creation looks like a hat because I totally messed up on keeping things the same length.

The second creation is unfinished. It could be a very long wash cloth, or a very short scarf.

I was working on my knitting (crocheting) on a plane from Iowa to Detroit. An Amish woman who was traveling to Pennsylvania to visit her sister commented on my knitting. She was so sweet. I wish I had spent more time talking to her, but I really just wanted to chill in my own quiet world and knit.

I find myself feeling the need for solitude more often than not. I appreciate people and friends--but I really like how it feels to just sit in silence and enjoy the moment without talking. I don't want to process. I don't want to solve. I just want to be. Sometimes talking can be so exhausting.

I enjoy the moments where I can just be with a friend and chill out watching tv, knitting, cooking, whatevs. I just want to chill.

Knitting (crocheting) is a great new way to just chill.

I don't even care that I'm crap at it!

(If this post seems distracted, it's because I'm kinda sorta watching America's Next Top Model while typing this. )

And I'm a dork. I totally thought I was knitting--but I just realized that I'm crocheting. Oh well!

5 comments:

Miss Heather said...

I love knitting!!

Connie said...

Have you ever tried crochet? It's my new hobby and I am loving it. Knitting is up next.

Eve said...

I think I am crocheting! I'm such a dork. Yes. This is crocheting. And you now all know how dorky I am.

Matthew said...

When I went to Salt Lake City last time, we stayed with the Harrises (whom I adore). On the way from their house in Layton to her daughter's in SLC, Sister Harris showed Valerie how to crochet. She hung onto enormous, thin scarf for a couple years. I can do singe and double, but I get lost after that and ain't no way I could ever knit with two needles, but I would love to be able to! Oh, the baby hats I would make with the cute shaggy yarn, but alas...

Melissa said...

crocheting is awesome! I am working on an afghan...little by little...it's been three years so far. ;) I've made two or three others.
And something I do to help my stitches be even and more "relaxed" is I use the tension I am comfortable with and use a hook size that is two or three sizes bigger then asked for. This usually means I use a size k hook if it asks for a size I hook. It seems to help so I just go with it.