Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Red Tent

So one of my resolutions is to blog more. Mwa ha ha!

Today is one of those days where it's 9 degrees outside and I can feel myself on the verge of illness. As I walked into the cold air last night after the New Years Festivities, I was overwhelmed as the cold air hit my insides.

Today is the second day of my happy time of the month. I kind of like it when it finally arrives because it means that the horrendous depression inducing pmsing is finally over. I literally reel with emotion for about ten days before I finally start my period. And then it's over and I feel normal again--emotionally.

Physically, I'm in a good deal of pain. I'm completely wiped out. I slept a good part of my day away today. But I'm generally happy.

I feel really blessed right now because I could be going through this during the work week. And that's just not cool. Instead, I'm curled up in bed, nibbling on cereal and oranges. I feel like I'm in my own little Red Tent.

I have a little dillemma. I'd love your advice--dear reader--

Last night, I a friend mentioned that they'd like to get together to talk. I mentioned that I was free Saturday night and Sunday night and asked when he would like to get together. He just needs to vent and he needs a friend to listen--and I am more than happy to be a friend. He never responded to whether he wanted to get together Saturday or Sunday night. I didn't make any plans either way because I'm holed up in my red tent, but a response would have been polite.

I sent 3 polite texts throughout the day--asking about what was going on--with no response. I finally sent a curt response--which he replied to quickly--expressing that he was involved in a family emergency.

He was trying to make me feel bad for being so curt, and selfish for expecting a response. I understand canceling, I understand not having time for a lengthy chat. But a response--a short--"Emergency--can't chat" takes about 4 seconds.

I get that a family emergency is all consuming, but I'm a person. When I'm ignored, it makes me feel like less of a person. I have no intention of mentioning my feelings in this to him because when push comes to shove, my feelings are far less important than the family emergency. But in my little world where all there is is me--my feelings kinda count for something. So here on the bloggy that's about me--I'm going to express my selfish feelings.

I'm not sure what my dilemma is--but if you wanna tell me to be less selfish--I'm cool with that.

4 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Dearest Eve, I've been struggling with a similar issue this week. I invited a friend over to a party, and she put me off--saying she'd let me know after she spoke with her husband in a few minutes. At the end of the day, she still hadn't replied. I called her and she said she would let me know the next day after talking to her mom. She never called the next day. Finally, this morning, day 4 (and the day of my party), I texted her once again and she finally turned down my invitation. I've been upset all day. Not because she couldn't come, but because she put me off for so long. It's just plain rude. And it wasn't until I read your sentence that I understood why I was so mad... "When I'm ignored, it makes me feel like less of a person". I'm definitely on your side, emergency or not--he could've and should've replied something short and simple sooner, out of courtesy and respect.

CMS said...

I think your response was fine. People need to stop thinking that they don't need to be polite anymore. I also feel like, "mmm hmmm, yeah right." but that is just me.

As for blogging, I love it, but I used all my free google space and I am not sure I want to PAY for more. Sigh.

I look forward to your entries!

Eve said...

@kala--You're so great! I can't imagine anyone ignoring you!
@Crystal--I NEED your pictures! Just change the blog again. Trust me--we'll ALL follow you!
And as for the mmmmhmmmm... I agree.
But I'm not in a habit of accusing people without proof. I keep saying: Just tell me no! Just say, "I don't want to talk to you!" But he keeps coming up with these excuses that leave me with the impression that, "he would if he could!" Which makes me believe, "He would if he could..." Uggghhh. True friends can tell you: "Friend--I'm busy. Can't get together." And it's not a big deal. Why can't he??

Miss Heather said...

That seriously drives me NUTS! I've had that happen so many times, with a really close friend. It's like, you're seriously toooo busssy to send me a quick text? Come ON! I don't like being ignored either and you're totally right. I LOVE YOU!