Thursday, June 20, 2013

Rodgers and Hammerstein



Last night, we sat around the musical director, reviewing the music for Carousel. 

We sang the final number, "And don't be afraid of the dark, at the end of the storm is a golden sky, and the sweet, silver song of a lark. Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain, though your dreams be tossed and blown. Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone, You'll never walk alone."

I imagined the women sitting in the audiences in 1945.

I imagined the fathers, mothers, wives, sisters, brothers, and children who had lost loved ones in the war.

And as I sang the words, I was overcome with emotion imagining their experience hearing these words for the first time.

It's sad that we need this message today as much as we needed it then.

Today, I'm grateful for Rodgers and Hammerstein.



Try not to cry. I dare you.

4 comments:

Nancy Roche said...

Imma hater. It's what I do. I always felt like R&H's crying songs were cheap tricks.

Eve said...

But this song just seems so perfectly appropriate for a young grieving widow.

Melissa said...

This song has always been one of my favorites.

JM said...

In eighth grade choir, we sang a medley of R&H songs which ended with this one. I had forgotten about it, actually, so thank you for sharing.