Monday, December 14, 2009

August: Osage County

No, I did not get to see the original cast.
But dear me, Estelle Parsons and the rest of the cast did not disappoint in the least bit.

The frame of the house overwhelmed the stage.
Characters would come and go as life changing drama unfolded in the guise of everyday events.
Throughout the entire play, I began to see my own seemingly mundane life as immensely dramatic.
Tense family dinners.
Seemingly inane discussions between siblings.
Even watching television.
All these innocuous events absorbed by audience members
as though we were watching a bloody battle
or a delirious can-can.
I just want you to know that I offered the chance for anyone of my friends on facebook to join me in seeing this groundbreaking production.

Granted, it was Friday afternoon, and flying out might have been expensive--but ooooh, if you get the chance to see it again, please do.

It's worth every dime.

1 comment:

Miss Heather said...

Entertainment Weekly named August: Osage County the best play of the year... and said despite it's 3:30 running time, it flew by and was amazing. I'm so jealous because I wish I could have gone with you!