Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Empathy

I feel like I'm running on empty. I'm barely getting to things on time. I have no energy at all, which doesn't make any sense considering that I sit around way too much.

BUT. . . despite all this. . .

classes have been going very well.

This morning I introduced descriptive rhetorical tools that they could use in their writing. We read some poetry, a short story, and an essay--all while pointing out the different rhetorical tools the writer used to make their points.

Then, I had them write about a dark moment in their life and the turning point that made everything better. The students immediately began to scribble their work. After working on their pieces, I invited them to share their work outloud. It was so uplifting.

One girl's story was about her broken transmission. Another student told about his first years in the US and how difficult it was not speaking English. Then he shared how wonderful it was to finally learn the language!

One student talked about being homeless and a kind nurse who offered to let her take a shower and the hope she found when she finally got a job and decided to stop using drugs. One girl talked about living in Foster care and the day she fell in love and started her own family at the County Courthouse with her love.

One girl talked about how starting college has given her hope for her future. She didn't describe her darkest moment--it was clear that she was in the middle of dark times, but she lit up as she spoke of the things she would do when she finished school.

And last but not least--dear Dominic shared a poetic picture of falling deeper and deeper into a pit and seeing a fleeting light. He talked of grabbing hold of the light and letting it guide him out of the pit. Once again, it was clear that he was in the pit at this very moment. But as we heard his story and watched him smile, we could all sense his light.

I don't know why there is so much pain in the world. I don't know why there is so much darkness.

We discussed the happy consequences of these dark times. Because of our pain, we are better empathizers. We notice the woman using the calculator at the grocery store. We notice the kid sitting on the sidewalk. We are empowered with empathy and intuition and we are bound to do our best to make the world a better place.

I believe that people who have truly suffered are better able to heal the world. And those who haven't, just don't get it. Don't hate them--they can't be held accountable for things that they haven't learned. But for those of us who understand, we are bound by our experience and our empathy to do everything we can to make the world a better place. Please let us help. It almost makes past suffering worth the pain if we can help out those who are currently in need.

I have friends and students who are truly suffering this holiday season. My heart breaks for you. And I want so much to take away your pain. I offer my prayers and my love. I wish I could give more.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

I know, I am in the very real, very unsettling situation of hating the bright and shiny ones right now. I am trying not to. I know it is not their fault, but it makes me crazy to hear hollow optimism from someone whose biggest trial of this life has been a 1 day break up with their first boyfriend whom they then married a few weeks later. That is how it feels. And. It feels like saying "things suck" makes people mad at me.

And. I am not sure what is going to pull me out of this. I have never. EVER. felt this bleak. Ever.

Crystal said...

So that was me. Valerie was posting her photos so I could print them off. It is a picasa trick I learned.

Eve said...

We need to chat. Over the phone or some thing--call me when you get a moment. Now or in the morning. Whatever you prefer.

Melissa said...

I loved your post Eve. I have felt this many times and agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of empathy.
While I love my job, sometimes I feel that some of my coworkers have become detached. I know this was probably a self-defense mechanism, but I hope I never get that way.
I look at the same situation and I can see it through the patient's eyes.
The patient who is morbidly afraid of hospitals because their parent died in one (who cares what they died from, they died!) and still consents to have surgery to prevent cancer, and is so frightened they are bawling as anesthesia is putting them to sleep. An adult.
I felt bad for them. I felt EMPATHY for them. I could totally see it from their side. Some of my coworkers couldn't.
I hope I never get there. Through all the things I have suffered, empathy has definitely been heightened.
You are an amazing woman Eve, and so insightful. Thanks for sharing. :)