Thursday, September 17, 2009

Better at the Blahs

Today was a blah day. I needed it to be a blah day. I've been sliding towards this forever, and today I let myself live in the blah. I have been forcing myself to function beyond my capacity--and it's just made me irritable. I have been doing my duty to God and country like a good little scout, but slowly, oh so slowly, I've become suckier and suckier (yes I chose to use the word suckier) at getting through my obligations. I end classes a little early, arrive 3 minutes late, return assignments later than I should, or not at all. I forget to return emails, and I've put off paying bills.

But, as the blahs have crept up on me--I have maintained my focus on losing weight. And for that, I am incredibly proud of myself.

I slept in until 11am this morning, watched 6 episodes of Angel, played countless tetris games, and chilled in sweats until 5:30pm.

BUT . . . I also paid all my bills, including buying a plane ticket home for Christmas. And as for overeating--I ate a 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. And that's it!! I am infamous for binging--and I didn't! I could have. I would have let myself. But, I didn't.

I need another good night of sleep and some chill out time, and I'll be good as new by the weekend.

These "blah" days can freak me out a little. I feel a little out of control, but you know--it's life. They come, and they go. But, I'll tell you what bugs me--it doesn't matter how self-aware you are--you can't think your way out of it. You can tell yourself exactly what is happening in your mind and body, and scientifically understand the source of your feelings--but the feelings are still there. And no amount of self-reflection can substitute getting extra sleep and enjoying a little downtime.

5 comments:

Miss Heather said...

I have come to truly enjoy Blah Days. :) I think you're awesome!! And if you need me to pick you up at the airport at Christmas, let me know! :)

Eve said...

I'm sure my mom would pick me up--but the idea of spending time with you is heaven! We'll have to work something out.

Sunshine said...

Seriously, I have been a bottling fool and this week it has finally caught up with me. Cevin is out of town and I just don't want to do anything even though I really need to, but I don't so I sat this morning and watched Glee, stayed in my pj's until I realized I really wanted to eat at the Pastry Pub for lunch, pretended to clean a little and took a nap. I love blah days and they totally help you recover.

I have decided that I will no longer feel guilty for my blah days, as long as those are less than my active days. I think, I may not be able to see you at Christmas time as my due date is between the 28th of Dec and 5th of Jan. Me so sad!

Russ and Katie Olsen Family said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has blah days! You are so wonderful Eve. I enjoy reading your thoughts, even if it is about being blah!!

Eve said...

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who succumbs to the blahs. I feel like I'm in very good company! I need to make a plan to come to Cedar City when the baby is older. Someday soon!