Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Favorite Movies of the Month

Adam is a movie about a man with aspberger's syndrome starring Hugh Dancy and Rose Byrne. I have a girl crush on Rose Byrne from her work in Damages and it is a treat to see the subtle differences in her character in this movie. It is an incredibly heartwarming treat. It encourages moviegoers to reevaluate which handicaps we should or should not overlook in our interactions with one another.





Tyler Perry is the most prolific writer of the day. And sure, his stuff is formulaic, but so was Calderon and Lope de Vega. He knows what his audiences want and need to hear, and he gives it to us with flair and poignance. Featuring Gladys Knight, Mary J. Blige, a wonderful performance by Benjamin Button's Taraji P. Henson, a gorgeously subtle Hope Olaide Wilson, beautiful gospel music, and the kind of hit you over the head preachin' that you come to expect and enjoy in a Tyler Perry movie! Just like Greek Theatre's Deux et Machina--the power of Jesus will always save in a Tyler Perry movie. And folks, if that ain't feel good cinema--I don't know what is!





6 comments:

Sunshine said...

I LOVE Damages... just love it, and I am so bummed that starting Jan I won't be able to watch it until it comes out on DVD. I had to give up that station because of income issues.... ugh! I love Rose Byrne. Haven't seen either movie, but will consider netflixing them! Thanks

Eve said...

You can watch Damages on HULU!! Isn't that wonderful?

Miss Heather said...

I LOVE Damages too!! It's my FAVORITE!!!!

BUT I can't believe you (obviously) haven't seen District 9 yet... it's the best movie I've seen in probably ten years. Seriously. It's unique, creative, perfect in every way. You HAVE to see it!!!

I hate Tyler Perry (I know, I know) but I loved Adam. Unfortunately we rented Knowing (with her and Nicholas Cage) and it literally had the dumbest ending of any movie I've ever seen... but she was good in it! Because I love her!! :)

Crystal said...

I want to comment, but I have no comments. I am not a TV or a movie person BUT I did see the last season of Damages. I really liked it! My nephew has Asperberger's Autism and anyone not friends with him is really missing out. He is a pretty awesome kiddo.

Eve said...

Ahh, so that's how you spell it! Well, I shall edit right away!

I watch movies because I don't have kids to entertain me. I wouldn't go if I had cutie pie kids to watch.

As for District 9--I almost left the theatre in the middle of it. I couldn't handle the graphic violence. It was too much. And it was gratuitous. Also, I hate, loathe, catfood. So that scene was particularly vomit inducing. I loved and respected the premise. I totally thought it was a great story to tell--but I was so grossed out I couldn't enjoy it.

Knowing was fun, but like most Nic Cage movies, ridiculous!

I love Tyler Perry because he dares to do Christian movies, and I love that his movies do so well at the box office. It gives me heart about the state of the world today. Lots of corniness though. But, corney is better than cat food any day!!

Sunshine said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a God that loves me! I love Damages! LOVE IT! The writers are amazing and I love the dialogue between Glenn Close and Rose Bryne.... amazing