Thursday, September 24, 2009

Poe dee dee poe poe

Right now, I'm memorizing lines for an upcoming show about Edgar Allen Poe.

Oh Poe.

The more time I spend with his words, the more I realize that he is a genius and well, I am going to need to get up very early tomorrow morning to continue memorizing lines.

I have been grading papers, memorizing lines, planning lectures, etc. etc.

This leaves no time for anything else.

And, so I haven't blogged in forever because I can't think straight to type anything except maybe the lines that I am currently memorizing.

Lines like this:

Look up. Survey the ceiling of your prison. Do you see? In one of the panels is the painted figure of time as he commonly represented, save that in lieu of a scythe, he holds what we might suppose to be a giant pendulum, such as we have seen in antique clocks.

And this continues . . .

This particular gem is from his story, "The Pit and Pendulum". I adapted the story from a first-person tale, to a two-person scene where a man listens to a voice in his head describe what is happening to him. It makes in much more active then if we just told the story. I had to change the tense to 2nd person and present tense. It was kinda cool. I liked it.

And now I get to memorize it. And that, I don't like. But oh whatever. I can't think straight. I've enjoyed reading your blogs as I put off memorizing. I have put off everything in my life.

Oh life. I can't wait until it becomes interesting again.

I am looking at buying a house. Just puttin' it out there.

1 comment:

Miss Heather said...

I love Poe. I always have. :) I'm jealous of you because I would love to be in a show about him! :)