Saturday, October 2, 2010

Claudia Clayton

While attending The Mormon Women Project Salon on Thursday evening, I was waiting to meet with Bonnie Ballif-Spanvill. Her words as a widowed LDS scholar had intrigued me.
But, Bonnie surrounded by other women who wanted to speak with her.

Instead, another woman approached me and asked if I was waiting to speak with Bonnie. I nodded and then immediately recognized that perhaps the best opportunity for learning was in front of me. The woman was Dr. Claudia Clayton. She asked me if we'd met before because she recognized me. We exchanged a bit of our histories, in hopes of finding out where our paths may have crossed. I shared with her my current ambitions and my passion for identifying different sources of female power within the LDS community. I haven't been able to identify a particular thesis, but I'm trying to grab a hold of every opportunity I can find to ask questions and to expand my "research", and someday when the time is right, a thesis will emerge.

Today, in between conference sessions, I decided to look up Claudia's work online.

I found a beautiful speech she gave in 2004.

I share it with you now. It is absolutely inspiring.

Please enjoy! "Agency and Context" by Claudia J. Clayton

No comments: