Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cuckoo


I'm in a show.

I'm playing Nurse Rached in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest at Midvale Main Street Theatre.


Tickets are on sale now for $15--$13 if you buy them ahead of time online at www.midvaletheatre.com

November 11, 12, 13, 18, 19, 20TH 7:00 pm
7711 MAIN STREET, MIDVALE UTAH
CALL 801-566-0596

Tonight we had our first rehearsal off book. The director is a nice guy, but he had all these little games to "help" us. He wanted us to pick up a scrap of paper with a line whenever we dropped a line...

On the first night that we're supposed to be memorized.

Instead of calling "line", he wanted us to stop the play and pick up a scrap of paper and read the line on it. The lines on the paper had such sayings as, "I'm king of the world!" and "Life is like a box of chocolate." (You get the idea...) After reading that line, we're supposed to adlib until someonegot back on track. He wanted to play it to teach us to "stay in character" during the show.

I was having a heart attack trying to keep my lines together, and instead of having a rehearsal where we could work on our lines with one another, we were supposed to play a random game...

I made the mistake of expressing my thoughts out loud. As he was giddily explaining his awesome new game, my heart started racing, as I imagined everyone going off on crazy tangents, and me losing all sense of the shape of the scene and I might have said, "Are you trying to completely F*** with my mind?"

I'm not proud of swearing... It wasn't respectful. It wasn't right. BUT . . .

On the first night that we're supposed to be memorized, the last thing I wanna do is play a da** game! I want to work my blocking and try to get through the rehearsal without causing other people pain by messing up my cues!

Sooooo, yeah.

To be honest, I have a total potty mouth, but I try to come across as a better person on this blog, because, well, because someday I hope to be a better person.

But I'm not. I'm rude and obnoxious. And I swear waaaaayyyy too much.

Sooooo anywhoooooooo....

Come to the show. I'm pretty proud of it.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I love you. Potty mouth and all. Actually, I think that F-bombs are ok, if they're well placed. And, I believe, this was one of those "places".

And YOU ARE AN AMAZING PERSON, and becoming better and better everyday. So don't believe you're not. Ok.

I want to make it to your play, but Gracie is time consuming and sometimes its hard to travel with her. Here's to hoping for the best!

Eve said...

Alicia!! I want to come and see you and your family soon. I think I'm going to need a trip to St. George when it gets colder. I will have to figure something out. Soon!