Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sleep

I knew the month of April was gonna do me in, but I am beyond exhausted.

It's so hard to take time off when you LOVE everything you do though.

I love my job. I love Reefer Madness. I love Avenue Q. I love the church choir.

But this morning.... holy moly was it hard to get out of bed.

One of my favorite homeless friends came in and commented on my appearance.

He said, "Now don't take this the wrong way, but you look completely fried. I think maybe you ought to set up a nice bed in one of your storage units and just stay the night here so that you don't have to go home."

Not helpful friend. NOT. HELPFUL.


All I can do is think of my friends Melissa, Clarissa, Sara, Jessica, Paul, and Grant--and my cousin Maren--with their little toddlers AND newborns. I'm fairly sure that they never sleep. I don't know how you're doing it. I'm pretty sure you're able to do it because the kids are cute and must giggle and smile at those moments where you feel like throwing yourself in front of a bus just to get a moment of relaxation.

My babies are my plays. And they're super cute. But they're finished within a very short period of time.

I'm no where near ready for the no sleep marathoning of parenting. I honor you dear parental gurus.

Today I am grateful for my beautiful bed. I am grateful I get to be Aunt Evey. Someday I may have the stamina to raise a baby and a toddler at the same time--but right now, I'm REALLY happy that I know I'm gonna sleep for a good 12 hours tonight.

Not to rub it in.

If you'd like, I'll make you a gold star.

Probably won't help much.

But hey, the kids are super cute!

Just think how hard it would be if your kids looked like little slimy green aliens.

Or fish.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I meant to comment sooner...then I blinked and a week had gone by! All I know, is if I didn't have Shane, this parenting and no sleep thing would be much more difficult. I seriously don't know how single-parents do it. I know, they just DO. Still...WOW.

Eve said...

Seriously. And another friend of mine is having her third baby in a row. She was a student of mine and I love the idea of her with three little ones--but it can't be easy. I'm glad you have Shane--and I'm sure your older kids are pretty helpful too.

Melissa said...

Yes, they are extremely helpful. It would definitely be more difficult without their help too. :)