Monday, May 25, 2009

Extreme Cabaret!

Tonight we did the show. I think my dad and Matt were both petrified. I don't know why I wasn't. I guess I was kind of in this "Meh!" mode. I figured, it would either be great--or it wouldn't. But I was going to have fun. Suh there.

The whole place was packed. It was great. We performed in this wonderful little Cafe. We rehearsed for about 6 hours all together. At about 5:30pm, we went over to the Cafe for a sound check. I could see dad and Matt really getting panicky, but they were trying to hide it. So, both of them were pretty quiet--which trust me--is rare.

We ran through some of the numbers, then at about 7:40pm, I went out to the car to touch up make-up and collect myself. At that point, I saw a group of people heading into the building. I went in and mingled with the peeps. It was wonderful to chat with everyone before the show. It made it easier to just ham it up.

We started with Hear my song. It sounded great--but we had decided to do a crying bit in the middle of the song that just did NOT work. Well, I laughed--but no one else thought it was funny. Then Matt and I sang, "If I Had a Million Dollars". This song worked out just great. Then I sang "Die Alone". I love that song. Then Dad sang "Isn't She Lovely" . He had written new words to the song, and it was very sweet. Then, Matt and I sang Tenacious D's "Tribute Song". It was a crack up. We both made fools of ourselves. It was just ridiculous. And awesome.

After that, I sang Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine". Then all 3 of us sang "River in the Rain". It sounded great. Then Dad and Matt sang "Worlds Apart". After that, I sang "I Like It" by the Dixie Chicks. Then Dad and I sang, "Sailing On"--which everybody loved. And then "Everybody Wants to Rule the World", followed by Dad singing, "All is Fair in Love" by Stevie Wonder. We ended the night with "Float On" and "You'll Never Walk Alone".

They asked us to do an encore, and for some reason, we decided to do "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me". I started too low--and then switched up an octave. It was soooo not good. I can't describe how bad it was! But, it was just another very funny moment in the night. And I didn't care. I nailed the other songs. I had nothing to prove to anyone. I was having a good time!

The accompanist Doug and I were laughing at the juxtaposition of Modest Mouse next to "You'll Never Walk Alone". We decided we're going to create a new Reality Show called "Extreme Cabaret!" where we'll give singers Cabaret challenges. Challenge 1: Sing a punk anthem and a Broadway ballad back to back. Make it work!

So that was the show. No one took pictures or recorded anything. It was great! We had a great time.

4 comments:

Clarissa Jane said...

i wish there were photos and recordings!! i want to see it!!

Crystal said...

wow!! That really sounds awesome!! I hope you had fun! What are you doing today?

Eve said...

Still in Iowa. Going to the Raj for vegan lunch. I'm going to try and take some pictures today, but the battery is low! (We're not a picture taking family.)

Eve said...

Rephrase: I like to take pictures, but my family doesn't like to have pictures taken.