Friday, May 22, 2009

Friendly Iowa

Perhaps I set myself up for the joy, but just stepping off the plane--I could feel the friendly Iowa warmth surround me.

I began chatting with the girl next to me on our way to the baggage claim.

At the rental counter, I was talking to the guy about which car to rent--and he gave me a fancy 2010 Hyundai Sonata for the price of an economy car!

I haven't been in Iowa since 2004. It's been almost 5 years.

I found my way to the mall where I met Jyl and her baby girl! That baby is so cute! And Jyl looks positively radiant. She is just at ease with herself and her life. I love her and her wonderful family. We talked about the birth and how much she likes being a mom. Jyl and I did a concert together 5 years ago that was beautiful. We sang a lovely duet of Ave Maria. She blends like an angel.

After visiting with Jyl, Merry and I went to lunch in Iowa City. Merry is my roommate who served in Iraq for over a year. Merry and I had a good heart to heart about life, family, and future ambitions, etc. It's been years, but it feels like no time has past.

I was thinking about friends that just feel right no matter where or when. I feel so blessed to have known so many amazing women.

I got to my dad's place at 3pm and enjoyed a reunion with him and my brother Matt. We've been working on songs for our upcoming concert all evening. I've been travelling since 5am, after a very long night grading exams before I left for this trip. I can't believe I'm still sitting upright!

More Later!

No comments: