Friday, May 22, 2009

Songs for the Concert

Last night, we were sitting around the living room talking about possible songs.

Dad was at the computer looking up lyrics, I was compiling playlists on itunes, and Matt was just trying not to be overwhelmed. He's a little afraid that vocally he can't handle this thing--but he'll be great!

We started singing through the songs, getting a feel for the range, etc. Matt and I reworked the song "If I had a million dollars" into a comedy routine. Then we discussed angry break-up songs that we might do, since Matt just broke up with the girl he was dating. We decided that they might be a little too angry.

We searched for more upbeat numbers and decided to do "I like it" by the Dixie Chicks. And I brought up doing "Float on". We played through it, and it works! But, will they work on the piano?

So, Matt went home to hit the hay because he had class this morning. And Dad and I headed over to Doug's house. Doug is my favorite accompanist. He completely rocks on the piano. His house is a musicians dream, with guitars, computers, keyboards, and a giant full grand. His art is eclectic and fun. He's like a hippy studio musician. And he can do anything.

We worked through "Hear My Song" which has a thousand key changes. Doug arranges by ear. So, that took a long time. I was afraid the rest of the night would last forever. But then we went through "Everybody wants to rule the World" and between Doug's rollicking arrangement and our belting harmonies--it's going to be a good song. And it took all of 5 minutes to get it all together.

I tried out "Limit to Your Love", but scratched it. No one can touch Feist. And I ain't gonna try.

I sang through "I could've gone to Nashville", but then scratched it.

"I like it" worked really well! I didn't realize what an incredible song it is! It's interesting to see what songs stand alone as great songs--and what songs are tied to particular singers.

At about 1am, we all left--sufficiently tuckered.

So here's the list of songs we have decided on so far--and we're cutting left and right. You have to start with a big bag of tricks and then whittle the show down to perfection.

Hear My Song--Jason Robert Brown
Everybody Wants to Rule the World--Tears for Fears
I like It--Dixie Chicks
Sailing On--Saturday's Warrior
Float On--Modest Mouse
Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me--(I'm going to lobby to cut this one)
If I Had a Million Dollars
Vincent (Starry Starry Night)
Die Alone--Ingrid Michaelson
Heart of the Matter--Don Henley
Guv'ment--Big River
Isn't She Lovely--Stevie Wonder
River in the Rain or Worlds Apart--haven't decided
Extraordinary Machine

It's cabaret at it's best! Matt is a hilarious comedian. And it's fun to give new spins to old favorites. We're doing the radio interview this afternoon--so I have to reread the press release and make sure I'm ready to hype this thing.

2 comments:

Miss Heather said...

You no likey Don't Let the Sun? I likey!! :) It sounds super fun!

Sunshine said...

uh... like... you are totally awesome! Can I be as smart and talented as you when I grow up? Please????