Friday, January 23, 2009

blood sugar

This morning I ate 2 eggs and 2 pieces of whole grain toast with butter at 9:15am.

I taught a class from 10-1pm. Then I went to the gym where I ran 2.5 miles and lifted weights until 2:15pm. I drank A LOT of water.

I was starving as I left the gym. I had a horrible headache and was feeling really faint.

I went to CVS and bought a bloodsugar meter to measure my blood sugar because I feel like I go a little kooky when I don't have sugar.

I was supposed to take the blood sugar test before eating--but that wasn't happening. I downed a steak burrito bowl with black beans and rice.

About 10 minutes later I took my blood sugar reading. It was 75.

This is after eating. I cannot even IMAGINE what it would have been before eating. Granted, I had waited 6 hours between meals and I was starving to death--but seriously . . .

It's been 2 hours since I ate and my blood sugar is currently 63.

Good grief. No wonder giving up sugar is such a pain in my head!!

6 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh my goodness. Blood Sugar. Don't even get me started. What is it supposed to be? I am scared to test mine. If I wait too long to eat I get cranky. And in a really really MEAN way. I'm bad. I get really weak and get headaches too. Also, when i finally DO eat, it's like I can literally feel my body regulate. Like a wave going up and one going down. Balancing the scales. What a tricky thing that blood sugar thing is. Hmmm. Sorry about the long comment. I think it was about as long as your post.

Eve said...

No problemo! Apparently you should be somewhere between 100-120. 75-120 is okay too. I just ate a giant bowl of ice cream to raise my blood sugar and I tested at 70. Crazy!! I don't really know what to do about this. I think my body is overproducing insulin because I eat too much sugar. But I eat too much sugar because I get headaches from low blood sugar. Stupid.

Eve said...

I'm at 116! Finally! It's 2:08am and I haven't had anything to eat since 12:25pm when I devoured a giant bowl of ice cream. About 15 minutes after eating it, I was at 70--but now 2 hours later--I'm at 116. Yay! Still have a headache though. And may I just say, pricking your fingers hurts like crazy!! I need to not ever get diabetes. I must solve this hypoglycemia thing quickly.

Eve said...

And in my final installment of the bloodsugar saga:
This morning--no food--80!

Ta da!! I'm normal!

Granted, if I go and eat something all that will change.

I must find a way to make my bloodsugar happy all the day long.

Sunshine said...

It is called a balanced diet.... I know, I know....like who does that? Certainly not me..!! But, the trick is to make sure you have a balanced protein and carb intake. You eat to many carbs your blood sugar will shoot way up and then major crash - thus the headaches/crankieness. you add the protein and it helps keep the carbs from shooting to high. Make any sense? So you want to eat as close to a 40-30-30 diet as possible. 40% carbs, 30% protein 30% fat...

Good luck

Miss Heather said...

I'm pretty sure my blood sugar isn't low... ha ha ha! I'm an ice cream fiend!