Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Pre-Inauguration thoughts

I keep choking up. I'm not watching it from DC. I know I live here, and my roommate is among the throngs of people. And i could have gone--but the idea of that many porta potties. . . It was a no brainer. I'm very happy watching the festivities from my house.

People will be coming over any minute now. I have wheat thins, sprite and ice cream. Not a great spread--but that's okay! I pulled out some blueberries too.

I'm pretty happy right now watching it on tv. It's pretty great.

I keep tearing up. I got the same sense when I was in Philadelphia. I have an overwhelming love for my country today. I really want to contribute. Not just to politics, but perhaps politically. I would love to find a way to make the world a better place, without the corruption of power. I need to find a new ambition.

It's a new day. There are a lot of reasons to be cynical, but as I see the millions of people gathered to celebrate--I believe that so much faith, so much hope, and so much love will truly propel us forward as a nation.

I believe that Obama's skill is in placing the responsibility for our nation squarely on a sea of shoulders. I feel a greater responsibility to make the world a better place. I felt like the Bush Administration took on the world by itself. I wonder if that's the real reason why so many things went wrong. Clearly, the administration wasn't inviting to our input--from the moment they ignored the advice of the UN I have felt that the administration distanced themselves from outside opinion. This could be perceived as good, but ultimately Americans stopped taking responsibility for their own nation. We allowed ourselves to stop caring. And clearly, this made a difference.

I should get back to the tv.

God bless America!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

big hug to you, I feel very much the same.

Eve said...

I love you Crystal! You are the ultimate example of a woman serving and making a difference in the lives of your countrymen and women!