Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Calm and Collected Letter

Dear Whoever My Boss is:

I would address you personally, but I have no idea who I report to.

Today has been a "not too hot" day.

I was unable to print off my assignments this morning on the faculty printer.

I was asked to send students to see their advisor during a class break. I did, and the advisor kept them for over an hour.

I received exactly 1/5th my paycheck today because the powers that be are under the impression that I'm only teaching 2 classes. I'm teaching 4. How does half the classes equal 1/5 the pay?

Some stranger is going to call me to talk about my class load for next quarter. Is he my boss?

I don't know who to take these complaints to. Everyone is over different aspects of my job. I have no idea who to talk to about these things.

And finally, I'm sitting in the library because I've been asked to stay after work and tutor students--and no one is here.

Apparently, I'm being paid for my hours as a tutor, but who knows if I'll actually see the money for it.

Sincerely,

A frustrated Adjunct professor who would someday like to have health insurance and an income that doesn't change every 5 weeks.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I feel your pain, girl... and I have a band of students that regularly stalk me. It is entertaining on one hand, and very annoying on the other. I don't like trails of undergrads following me saying "Dr Scott?! or Ms Scott?!" the ones who need more help elevate my status.

Anyway. I, at least, know who my two bosses are and we can check our pay on a centralized HR site which is lovely.

Eve said...

I wish . . .

I finally found out that I'm teaching 4 classes in a heavenly schedule starting on Jan 4th--so there's that beauty.

Still don't know about messed up check. and I figure if I cc everyone in the world, than maybe someone will get annoyed and tell me who I should talk to! ha ha!!