Wednesday, October 7, 2009

How to become the most popular teacher without really trying


Today was the last day of my Ethics class. I loved this class!
Today they were to present on an ethical dilemma. They were to choose a controversial topic and discuss it using the tools we had discussed throughout class. They prepared great powerpoints, brought in outside perspectives, etc. One student interviewed a pastor at a church that allowed gay marriage to get his unique religious perspective.
I was so proud of them!
And sooooo . . . .
During the final, they were allowed to bring in 1 page with notes that they could use on the test.
I asked everyone to pull out their 1 page of notes so I could see if they had prepared well for the final. Each of them had a piece of paper covered from top to bottom, front and back with facts and figures that they might need for the final.
After looking over their cheat sheets, I announced:
NO FINAL! Go home!!
They jumped up and screamed with joy. Laughter filled the room. Several of them hugged me. I even saw a few tears. Seriously.
I told them, "Why would I make you rewrite all the info you painstakingly wrote last night? Did you learn anything from creating your cheat sheet?"
All of them, "Yes!"
Me: "Great! Go home!"
(cue mass exodus)

6 comments:

Ace said...

AWESOME. The end.

kendralu said...

win!

Sunshine said...

why didn't i get you as a professor when I went to College! Awesome! Total gold star for you!

Crystal said...

I would totally do it if I would not get fired. It is actually a REQUIREMENT to give a cumulative, final exam in all of our classes... and we have to turn in a copy to be accepted to the dean. HowEVER, I think your idea is a GREAT one. It places the much-needed responsibility on the student.

Eve said...

I totally had a final ready to give. And the one student who had photo copied his cheat sheet had to take the final. And I told the Dean about it before hand. We had a huge midterm, and their final presentations were pretty cumulative in effort, soooo, I had my bases covered.

Brigham City Carnegie Library said...

THAT'S MY GIRL!!!
The Mum~