Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Personal Progress

I work in the Young Women's as the assistant Personal Progress leader.

I kind of viewed it as a non-calling. I'm pretty sure they invented it. But, that little distinction has made it all the better! I go to activities when I can, and I enjoy myself when I'm there. But, I don't feel horrendously guilty if things aren't done right away. It's kind of heaven. We have about 20 girls in our Young Women. I have commented on them before, and they really are amazing.

For those of you who have been out of the loop for a while, or who have never heard of the Young Women program--here's the details.

Girls in the LDS Church between the ages of 12-18 meet together. They take lessons specific to their needs. Last week we talked about "Success"; the week before we discussed "Drug Abuse".

At home, they have a Personal Progress book. This book provides them with opportunities to grow in the different values: Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, Integrity, and Virtue. They do 5 activities from each of the values and then a 10 hour Value project. Once they've completed all of the Values, they get a "Young Women In Excellence" Award.

They can do this at any pace they want to. In our ward, we encourage the Beehives to get on it because life gets much busier when they're older. (Beehives are the 12 and 13 year olds.)

So, in that spirit. I met with the little Beehives last week and we learned to play "Give Said the Little Stream" using the Triangle, the flute, the shaker eggs, and the sticks. It was great fun! It sounded wonderful at the end of the night and so I signed off one of their goals. (I think it said something like, learn a new instrument or participate in a musical number.)

I like this program. Most of the goals require that the girls read 3 or 4 scriptures about a certain principle and then write in their journal or talk to their parents about their feelings. You don't need a church leader to do it. A mom can sign off on goals completed just as easily.

I really like it. (This entry started in one place and now I can't stop thinking about Crystal and Val and I really think I might be writing this for you two specifically now!) So, if you happen to have a daughter in YW--have fun doing Personal Progress with her. It's wonderful!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

We used to have a personal progress assistant, but when we got a new stake young women presidency they took the calling away. So, no, they didn't make it up.;) It's even in the manual! What a fun calling! I'm glad you enjoy doing it. I loved the time I spent as a leader in the Young Women program, and I miss it a lot.

Sunshine said...

I really like personal progress but somehow, my 'it's not fair' attitude gets in the way. We are assigned a lot of spiritual stuff and writing in our journals, and ya that's great and all, but what if I really interested in camping? Outdoors stuff?

Doesn't seem like enough of the ladies get a well rounded opportunity, and now that I think about it, I'm not sure that the boys do either. It's all outdoors stuff, and not much spiritual...

Now, maybe I shouldn't post this because I haven't checked my details, and if it's different great, but it sure seems like the men get to do fun stuff while we are stuck in the kitchen, or home being soft and spiritual.

However... I loved being in YW's! The Girls totally rock!

Eve said...

That makes total sense. But because the value projects are pretty much "Choose your own adventure"--I should encourage the girls to plan a family camping trip as one of their projects instead of "do a cross stitch of the temple!"

Sunshine said...

Ah, yes... see, now that's a good idea!