Sunday, July 28, 2013

Three Gifts

When I was 14, I went to a teenage church camp called, "Especially For Youth" and reveled in being in the company of other faith focused teenagers. Even then, I was a little overwhelmed by the cheesiness, but there were really special moments where I felt God's love. And at 14, I needed it.

There was one song, kind of hokey, but really touching, written by Tyler Castleton, called "His Love".

Today, I got to sing this song at St. Joseph's Nursing Home.

Gift 1.

I am trying to evolve. I am trying to be better and to grow.

Remember my mantra, "I can do hard things."

Lately, that's turned into--"I can brush my teeth."

It's been difficult.

Gift 2.

While I was on my mission, I got to sing a solo at a big conference. The song was, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". Since that day, this has become one of my favorite songs.

At choir practice, we sang that song. I got to luxuriate in the words and the melody. I got to swim in it.

Gift 3.

My friend Clay came to visit today. I've known him since 2007 when we met during a Sunday School class in which Clarissa and I were chomping on tootsie pops in the back of the room.

It's a really happy thing when you get to sit with a friend who really knows you.

We've both grown over the past three years--since I last saw him.

It was comforting to sit next to an old friend.

The day would have been even better.  My plan was to drive to Tremonton and spend the evening chatting with my dear friend Sara. We've known each other since we were 13. I love that girl. I have a picture of the two of us just before she got married and I went on my mission. Five kids and 14 years later, she's still my favorite person.

But I couldn't do it. I'm tired.  And this week promises to be really long.

So I'm grateful for my three gifts and the promise that someday soon, Sara and I will enjoy some cheesy fries and belly laughs again. (Or maybe we'll evolve and have a delicious spinach salad...)


Today, I am grateful for Sara, Clay, and singing.


1 comment:

crystal said...

I sang "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" today at an Episcopal church! Craziness!