Sunday, January 13, 2013

Numbers



Can you imagine being alive for 9 decades? 

My Popop is 90 today. 

That means in 1929 when the stock market crashed--he was 6 years old. 

When Pearl Harbor was attacked, he was 18. 

On Christmas Day, 1952, when my dad was born, he was almost 30. 

He was a trainer and VP for an insurance company for a long time. After retiring, he became an artist. He used to do ceramics and he created amazing pieces of embroidered art. Just a couple of years ago, he sent me a beautiful necklace he had made for me.

He played baseball and would have gone pro, but instead joined the Navy during World War II. 

After the war, he met and fell in love with my beautiful Nana. 

They have been married for 65 years. 



 Together, they have 3 children,  12 grandchildren, 5 great grand children and 1 on the way!




I called earlier today and he sounded wonderful. Healthy and happy.  He said that everywhere he turned, he was surrounded by loving friends and family.


Today I am grateful for numbers. 90 years of life. 65 years of love.

I love you Popop!



3 comments:

Larissa said...

I often look at folks like my grandmother and your grandfather and think, "I wish I could be in their brains, just for ten minutes." I wish I could see the montage of their lives - that I could know all the memories they have and see what they have seen.

Eve said...

So true! As I was writing it, I kept seeing pictures in my mind from the past. I would love to upload some old family pictures at least. That's the next project.

Joseph L. Puente said...

My grandmother on my Father's side lived to be 102 years old. She was born in 1888. I loved knowing someone who was alive in the 19th century. Makes me feel like a time traveler. :-)