Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sharing Time

Asking people to come see a show you're involved in is sort of like sharing your religion.

You don't want to seem too eager or too desperate...

But you just love it soooo much!

And you want people to know that you respect that they have wonderful lives that are busy and filled with all of their wonderful commitments and relationships...

But you just love it sooooo much!

Moving past the religious analogy... because I don't want to be accused of some sort of blasphemy...

I love You're a Good Man Charlie Brown.... much like I have come to love every show I work on.

I have been reading all over the interwebs about friends who are producing and playing in great shows nationwide. Friends from graduate school and college, from Iowa to Michigan, to California to North Carolina to Virginia... The interwebs are abuzz with love for upcoming productions.

Sometimes I feel like a beggar, begging for a crowd. You bleed, sweat, and cry--but if no one comes to the show--it's for naught.

It's such a funny thing to beg for too.

"Here! We have put together a piece of live storytelling where we hope to enrich your life and make you think/smile/love/cry/muse/fight/soar...... We hope you like it!"

I need my dear dear friends who don't come to my shows to understand that I tell you about these shows because I am simply offering a gift. I am okay if you can't make it.  I love it when you can come, but I don't want to reduce the gift by feeling bugged when people can't make it. Heaven knows, I am not great at making it to other people's shows. But I am definitely coming to see Melissa Leilani Larson's production of Happy Little Secrets when I get back into town!

From this distance, I want to wish all of my friends and loved ones who are doing shows this weekend a happy night of art and magic making! You are in my heart.

Today I am grateful to be able to share the show with so many wonderful friends. Thank you! 


No comments: