Friday, May 31, 2013

My Morning Mantra




This week, I decided to wake up at 6 am every morning and go for a walk outside before work.

I am in the theatre.

Theatre people don't DO 6 am.

Film people do 6 am.

Film people do crazy morning hours.  They need the sunlight.

Theatre people do busy late nights.

We do not do 6 am. We have lighting people so that we don't have to do mornings.

It's hard enough getting to work at 8 am.

It all began when I woke up at 6 am because the sun was shining in my window.

I was wide awake.

I thought, "Self, if you get up now, you could enjoy a walk in the park!"

And so Self and I got up.

And we enjoyed a beautiful walk in the park.

All day long, I felt energized by the morning commune with the sunshine and the trees. I had lost an hour of sleep, but gained 60 minutes not dedicated to work, to a show, to driving--60 minutes just for me! I could listen to music, watch the trees, see the sun glistening on the water.

And it's Tech Week!

If I can get off my duff at 6am during tech week--I can do it any time!

This morning was particularly beautiful.
 





So how do I do it?

I have a morning mantra. When I feel myself wanting to rest my head on the pillow, I say to myself in my sternest voice:

I CAN DO HARD THINGS.

And it works.

Today I am grateful for my morning mantra. 

Even if I do sound like a defiant 4 year old when I say it.

_______________________________________________________________________


My friend Barbara Purvis is offering massage therapy and energy work for women at her office in Holladay.



 

1 comment:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

absolutely gorgeous photos!
I'm proud of you for getting up and going in the mornings. What a beautiful gift in the world around you that you took advantage of!
also, now I know why I don't DO mornings--it's cause I'm a theater person! :D