Sunday, March 17, 2013

Building Mountains

Today is Sunday and it's St. Patrick's Day.

I'm thinking about my family. Particularly about my baby brother Nick.

He's a one of a kind sort of person.

He went to BYU when he was just 17. He's now 20 and in the 3 1/2 years since he started college, he won first prize at Model UN in NYC, lived for a year in German Housing where he became fluent in German, finished three years of credits, and served an honorable LDS mission in Sweden, where he changed lives, inspired church members, and became fluent in Swedish within weeks.

Right now, he's home. I know he's feeling tender and a little lost because for the first time in years, he isn't going full speed ahead. It's got to be an awkward feeling. He needs to rest and find his footing for the next chapter in his life: finishing school, finding a career, graduate school, marriage.  But before he presses forward into the next marathon of living, he needs to just be.

We've all been there before. Moments where you want to dive into your future and face everything that's coming head on. But, we need these moments of transition. During these moments, we grow into the person that will be ready to face these challenges.

I am thinking of a friend who spent a couple years living at home, working retail in between her masters and doctoral programs. It was a time of transition for her. I know as she looks back now, she can see how that time prepared her--but being in it is difficult.

I feel like the last couple of years have been a transitional time for me too. And I'm finally sliding into a dharmic place where I'm able to spend my days doing things I love.

In no time, Nick is going to be back at the races.

During these times of transition, I think it's good to look back further at our history and widen our understanding of the true nature of our family.

Proverbs 8:26-30
26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor athe highest part of the dust of the world.
 27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a acompass upon the face of the depth:
 28 When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
 29 When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
 30 Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;

Nick has been my delight through his whole life. And before the foundations of the earth were laid, we delighted together in the presence of our Father in Heaven and our brother Jesus Christ. 

It takes time and effort to build a mountain. Nick is a mountain of a man and he has a great many wonderful things left to do. 

I want all of my siblings to know how much I love them and how wonderful it was to grow up with them. Kelli, Kim, Jayson, Jack, Matt, Bethany and Nick. I am so happy to be your sister. 

Today I am grateful for you. 
 

No comments: