Saturday, March 23, 2013

Utah's Theatre Community

I'm heading up to a cabin in a few minutes for a cast party.

I'm enjoying a rare moment of rest before I get in the car and drive.

I am currently rehearsing as an actor in one show with Dark Horse Company Theatre and I'm working with Midvale Main Street Theatre as a musical director. And working full-time.  I love it all, but I'm really enjoying this little moment.

I got a new camera. I am going to take bunches of pictures on my way up to the cabin. And I'm going to memorize lines.

I love working with Dark Horse. Love it. Everyone is so nice. I feel so privileged to get to work with two theatre companies where the people are genuinely invested in creating a great show--and they're also really nice people.  Kindness is underrated when it comes to fostering a creative atmosphere. Theatre requires artists to work together to create a cohesive story told with music, acting, dance, art, and great writing.  When artists work towards their own separate ends, theatre fails.  But when artists collaborate and encourage one another, they overcome roadblocks and the culminating expression is more than the sum of the parts.

I wonder if this can work with separate theatre companies too.

Last year, I was working with a small group of friends on an idea to highlight Utah's up and coming theatre community.  We wanted to hold a three day festival where smaller theatre companies could show off their best work to Utah patrons to let them see all the great options Utah theatregoers can enjoy.  I still want to make this idea happen--but I believe that it's too big for just three days. I don't know the answer honestly. But I think it starts by following the same rules in creating a play. Theatre companies must realize that by working towards our own individual ends, without consideration for the whole artistic community, we will only go so far. But, if we can support one another through collaboration, cross promotion and encouragement, our growing theatrical community will grow beyond all expectations. When you think of Broadway, you don't think of just the Gershwin Theatre--you think of an entire community of theatres.

Today, I am grateful for artists and theatre companies who genuinely support our theatrical community here in Utah.  I am excited for what the future holds.  My thoughts are still percolating. I'll have to address this topic again in the near future. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

No comments: